The BEST Frosted Mint Brownies I have ever made or tasted! Made with a fudgy brownie topped with whipped mint buttercream and a dreamy chocolate glaze!
So, what makes me qualified to say these are the best frosted mint brownies? Well, frosted mint brownies are one of my favorite desserts. Ever! Over the years, I have made (and eaten) my fair share of them in search of the perfect one.
While boxed brownies can be tasty, fast, and convenient, homemade brownies can really take mint brownies to a new level! Consequently, the brownies in this recipe are the perfect complement to the whipped mint frosting and dreamy chocolate glaze.
In Utah, I frequent a little bakery named Schmidt’s Pastry Cottage. They have the BEST eclairs and mint brownies. Not only do these homemade brownies taste like the brownies from Schimdt’s, but they might be even better because they can be made at home!
What these Best Frosted Mint Brownies are Not
In an effort to explain all my past mint brownie failures, I will tell you what these best frosted mint brownies are not.
The brownie base is homemade — not made from a box. Additionally, this brownie is not overly sweet which allows the deep chocolate and fresh mint flavors to shine through! Furthermore, the brownies are not cakey and dry. Rather, they are fudgy and moist.
In the mint frosting, we only use a small amount of peppermint extract, so the peppermint flavor is not overwhelming. Neither do they taste like toothpaste.
Finally, the chocolate glaze does not separate and become oily. Nor does it over-harden once it cools. Instead, it stays smooth and pliable and does not slide off the brownie when you bite into it.
Sounds like perfection to me!
Best Frosted Mint Brownies Ingredients & Prep
No sooner than I mentioned my love of mint brownies to my fellow, foodie loving, coworker, she pointed me to her neighbors’ blog where this mint brownie recipe comes from.
Candise and Cindy, from the blog, Everyday Insanity, currently have over 500 amazing recipes. Most of their recipes are sweet treats, and they are so mouth-watering! They have so many I want to try. To that end, I hope they continue blogging for a long time!
Equipment Needed for the Best Frosted Mint Brownies
Here’s a suggested list of equipment needed to make these mint brownies:
- Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer
- 9″ x 13″ Baking Dish
- Parchment Paper
- Rubber Spatula
- Offset Spatula
- Chef’s Knife
I absolutely love this recipe for the Best Frosted Mint Brownies! They are very rich though! So, if making for a smaller crowd, halve the recipe and bake in an 8″ x 8″ baking dish.
Fudgy Chocolate Brownies
For the best frosted mint brownies, you need a good brownie base. I have to say, these brownies are amazing! If you ate these brownies without any additional toppings, you would not miss anything. They are that good!
Surprisingly, using an unsweetened chocolate and butter provides a fudgy texture to these brownies.
Prepping the Chocolate
To start, you will need 4 oz of unsweetened chocolate. I used a Baker’s Unsweetened Chocolate bar. Using a chef’s knife and a cutting board, chop the unsweetened chocolate into very fine pieces.
Next, add the unsweetened chocolate and butter to a microwave safe bowl. Then, microwave the mixture, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Set the mixture aside to cool slightly.
Combining the Dry Ingredients and Creaming the Wet Ingredients
In a separate mixing bowl, stir flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, add sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix with a mixer for 2 minutes until mixture is light and fluffy.
Mixing the Brownie Batter
Slowly, add melted chocolate to egg and butter mixture. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Finally, gradually, fold in flour mixture into chocolate mixture just until flour is incorporated.
Baking the Brownies
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9″ x 13″ baking dish with parchment paper, and spray the top of the parchment paper with cooking spray.
Next, pour batter into prepared baking dish and smooth the top of the batter with an offset spatula.
Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean. Cool completely for 1-2 hours.
Whipped Mint Buttercream Frosting
Surely, I could entertain you with past stories of bad mint frostings. However, I will spare you. Just know, this is the best whipped mint buttercream frosting I have tried. It is very simple to make, and requires only a few ingredients.
TIP: Do not use mint extract. Mint extract will taste like toothpaste! Instead, opt for peppermint extract.
In a mixing bowl, combine milk, powdered sugar, peppermint extract, softened butter, and food coloring (if using), and using a mixer, mix until smooth.
After the brownies have cooled, spread frosting evenly on top of brownies. Using an offset spatula helps spread the mixture quickly and evenly.
While preparing the chocolate glaze, place the brownies in the fridge to allow the frosting to set.
Dreamy Chocolate Glaze
For the dreamy chocolate glaze, you only need two ingredients: butter and semi-sweet chocolate chips. It doesn’t get easier than that!
Lately, I have been loving Ghirardelli’s chocolate chips or Guittard’s chocolate chips. They both seem to be higher quality than other brands, and the chocolate flavor is very clean.
While, Everyday Insanity uses 6 tablespoons of butter in their glaze, I only use 4 tablespoons. To be honest, that seems like too much butter. Although, feel free to use the full 6 tablespoons if you’d like.
To make the glaze, add chocolate chips and butter to a small bowl. Microwave, for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, until butter and chocolate are melted. Next, allow the glaze to cool for 2-3 minutes.
Using an offset spatula, spread glaze evenly on top of brownies. Return the brownies to the fridge to allow the chocolate to set (about 15-30 minutes).
Then, remove the brownies from the pan, and cut into 24 portions. For clean slices, between cuts, rinse your knife in hot water, and dry with a kitchen towel.
Store any leftover brownies in the fridge covered with plastic wrap. Before eating, remove the brownies from the fridge and let come to room temperature (about 15 minutes). Enjoy!
Love this recipe for the Best Frosted Mint Brownies?
If you love this recipe for the Best Frosted Mint Brownies, check out some of my other dessert recipes:
- Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies
- Best Key Lime Pie
- Mini Raspberry Lemon Cheesecakes
- Easy Air Fryer Apple Turnovers
To find a full list of all my dessert ideas, click here.
Thank you for stopping by and reading! I hope you try this brownie recipe and let me know below, on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest, if you think these are the best too!
Best Frosted Mint Brownies
- Parchment Paper
- Cooking Spray
- 4 oz Unsweetened Chocolate Bar
- 1 cup Butter
- 4 large Eggs
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
Mint Frosting Ingredients
- 2-3 tbsp Milk
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Peppermint Extract
- 1/4 cup Butter Softened
- 2-3 drops Food Coloring (optional)
Chocolate Glaze Ingredients
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 4 tbsp Butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9" x 13" baking dish with parchment paper, and spray the top of the parchment paper with cooking spray.
- Very finely chop the unsweetened chocolate. Add chocolate and butter to a small bowl. Microwave, in 30 second increments, stirring after each increment, until butter and chocolate are melted (about 1 – 1 1/2 minutes). Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix with a mixer for 2 minutes until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Slowly, add melted chocolate to egg and butter mixture. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Gradually, fold in flour mixture into chocolate mixture just until flour is incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and smooth the top of the batter with an offset spatula.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean. Cool completely for 1-2 hours*.
Mint Frosting Preparation
- In a mixing bowl, combine milk, powdered sugar, peppermint extract, softened butter, and food coloring (if using), and using a mixer, mix until smooth. Using an offset spatula, spread frosting evenly on top of brownies. Refrigerate brownies while preparing the chocolate glaze.
Chocolate Glaze Preparation
- Add chocolate chips and butter to a small bowl. Microwave, for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, until butter and chocolate are melted. Allow the glaze to cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Using an offset spatula, spread glaze evenly on top of brownies. Refrigerate brownies until the chocolate is set (about 15-30 minutes).
- Remove the brownies from the pan, and cut into 24 portions. For clean slices, rinse your knife in hot water, and dry with a kitchen towel, between cuts.