The key to any mouth-watering bagel sandwich starts with the bagel. My local Kroger store (Smith’s in Utah) freshly bakes several varieties of bagels every morning; these bagels are soft, full of flavor, and very inexpensive (~$0.60 per bagel). The convenience of a nearby delicious bagel that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg–makes these bagels hard to beat!
Smith’s carries a green chili pepper cheddar bagel that became the inspiration for this egg, ham, and cheese breakfast sandwich. If you cannot find the green chili cheddar bagel, most grocery stores carry a jalapeno pepper cheddar bagel that can be swapped. For this recipe, I prefer the green chili bagels over the jalapeno bagels because they are not as spicy, and the flavor is still complex but does not overpower the sandwich.
When I made this bagel sandwich for the first time, my husband’s friend unexpectedly came to visit. I only had two bagels, so I cut my husband’s bagel sandwich in half. After my husband took his first bite, he instantly regretted splitting his sandwich. You know I wasn’t giving up any of mine. 😉
Customize your bagel sandwiches
These bagel sandwiches are customizable and every ingredient can be swapped to use your favorite flavor combinations:
- Use different varieties of bagels (everything bagel, plain bagel, potato bagel, Asiago bagel, etc…)
- Combinations of other varieties of meat can really change the flavor profile (any deli meats such as ham, turkey, roast beef, chicken, smoked salmon, or sausage, etc…)
- Specialty seasoned cream cheese can be used to amp up the flavor (these are especially delicious with green onion and chive cream cheese).
- Prepare the eggs your favorite way (hard scrambled, soft scrambled, sunny side up, over easy, over medium, over hard, etc…)
- Use any kind of cheese you like (cheddar, provolone, pepper-jack, etc…)
Bagel sandwiches made at home can even better than those bought at a bagel shop! Let me know if you try this, and if you make any adjustments you love!
Egg, Ham and Cheese Breakfast Bagel Sandwich
- 2 Bagels Chili Pepper and Cheddar
- 2 tbsp Cream Cheese
- 6 slices Deli Ham
- 1/4 cup Colby Jack Cheese grated
- 3 Eggs
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Cut the bagels in half horizontally using a serrated knife. To give the bagels texture, toast the bagels in a toaster or in the oven on a baking sheet at 400 degrees for 3-5 minutes.
- While the bagel is still warm, spread 1 tbsp of cream cheese on each bagel.
- (optional but preferred) In a saute pan over medium-high heat, toast the slices of ham on each side until the natural sugars in the ham begin to caramelize and brown.
- Layer three slices of ham on each bagel sandwich on top of the cream cheese.
- Crack the eggs in a small bowl and whisk to combine, and add salt and pepper, to taste, and whisk to combine.*
- In the same saute pan over medium heat, cook eggs to your preferred doneness. (I like soft-set scrambled eggs for less messy eating)
- During the last minute of cooking the eggs, top eggs with cheese to melt the cheese.
- Place the eggs on top of the ham, and top the sandwich with the top half of the bagel.
- Slice in half vertically, and enjoy!
Nutrition information is provided for the ingredients listed below, and nutrition information may need to be recalculated if using different ingredients.