Slow Cooker Queso Chicken is a versatile main dish that can be served in a tortilla, on rice, on pasta, or as is. Only 6 Ingredients with 5 Minutes Prep.
Let me count the reasons why I love this recipe. First, Queso! In my opinion, everything is better with cheese. Second, this recipe only requires 6 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep. Third, the slow cooker does all the work! It’s truly a dump and go recipe. Fourth, this Slow Cooker Queso Chicken can be used in so many ways! It can be added to so many Mexican dishes. Or it can be eaten as is.
Slow Cooker Queso Chicken Ingredients
This recipe is inspired by a recipe in one of my Crock-Pot books called Sandy’s Mexican Chicken. That recipe calls for onion and cream of chicken soup. However, I decided to use slightly different ingredients since that’s what I had on hand.
For this Queso Chicken recipe, you’ll need:
- 2 Pounds Chicken Breast
- 1 Packet Taco Seasoning (Homemade or store bought)
- 10 oz Can Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies (like Rotel or store brand)
- 4 oz Can Diced Mild Green Chiles
- 15.25 oz Jar Salsa con Queso Cheese Dip
- 14.5 Can Chicken Broth
This recipe is really customizable. For example, if you don’t love chicken breasts, you can use chicken thighs. If you need to simplify the recipe, you can omit the green chiles and the chicken broth. Or if you don’t have the Salsa con Queso Cheese Dip, you can use 16 ounces of Velveeta. In place of Rotel, you can also use salsa.
Because this recipe is so versatile, it can be used in burritos, tacos, nachos, taquitos, and salads. Or you could also serve this over rice or pasta or with tortilla chips as a dip. In the pictures, I served it with cooked white rice.
In addition to the ingredients above, you’ll need any additional ingredients to complete your dish. Plus, you’ll need a slow cooker. I have this slow cooker from Hamilton Beach that’s been going strong for over six years! But any slow cooker that’s about 6 quarts will do.
Slow Cooker Queso Chicken Prep Tips
Nowadays, whenever I cook in my slow cooker, I use a slow cooker liner. Or if I don’t have any on hand, I spray the inside of my slow cooker with cooking spray. Using either of these methods will help make clean up faster and easier.
Typically, I add all the ingredients to the slow cooker at the same time. However, if you want the cheesy flavor to be more pronounced, wait to add the salsa con queso until after you shred the chicken. Once you add the chicken back to the slow cooker, add the queso and continue to cook for about 20 minutes until the cheese is heated through. This will really allow the queso to shine! Plus, it will add depth and dimension to your dish. But it will still be delicious if you add everything at the beginning of the recipe.
Chicken breasts can sometimes overcook in the slow cooker. So, I recommend cooking on low for 6 hours and checking the doneness of the chicken. If it can easily flake with a fork, it’s done. Otherwise, keep cooking in 30 minute intervals until the chicken is done. Or to avoid overcooking chicken, use chicken thighs.
Want More like this Slow Cooker Queso Chicken?
This is my second year of sharing easy Mexican slow cooker recipes during the month of May. If you love this recipe, you should give these a try too:
- Salsa Verde Chicken
- Copycat Cafe Rio Chicken
- Easy Pork Carnitas Tacos
- Slow Cooker Lazy Chile Colorado Burritos
- Slow Cooker (or Instant Pot) Refried Beans
Love what you are seeing, and want more? I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. If you want to be the first to know what’s new at Clean Fingers Laynie, SUBSCRIBE here, and never miss another recipe!
Slow Cooker Queso Chicken
- 2 lb Chicken Breast (Boneless, Skinless)
- 2 tbsp Taco Seasoning (1 packet)
- 10 oz Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies (1 can, like Rotel)
- 4 oz Diced Mild Green Chiles (1 can)
- 15.25 oz Salsa con Queso Cheese Dip (1 jar)
- 14.5 oz Chicken Broth (1 can)
- Spray the inside of a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray, or line slow cooker with a protective liner.
- Place chicken in the bottom of slow cooker and sprinkle the taco seasoning on top of the chicken.
- Pour the diced tomatoes & green chilies, diced mild green chiles, salsa con queso cheese dip, and chicken broth on top of the chicken.
- Cover slow cooker and cook, on low, for 6-8 hours until chicken is tender and easily flakes with a fork.
- Remove the chicken and place on cutting board. Shred chicken with two forks. Return chicken to the slow cooker to moisten and reheat.
- Serve over cooked rice or in a tortilla as a burrito.